Monday, February 3, 2014

HW "25 Word Short Story Contest" Winners


The Hanford West English Department recently sponsored "25 Word Short Story Contest": Entries had to be 25 words exactly and the winners received a $25 prize. Congratulations to the two winners and three honorable mentions! Read their stories below:

I Forgot my Name
Luis Lepez-Orozco
1st Place
The hospital said it was a concussion. Might be permanent memory loss. Can't even remember my own name which is handy considering who I am.

Crazy
by Alana Alvarez
1st Place
Boom! The glass plate was thrown across the room. A slap against his face. This night is horrible. I will always remember his crazy family.

The Last
by Breanna Calderon
Honorable Mention
The world was at its end. As the last survivor, I closed my eyes in shame. I took my last breath, and history became worthless.

Waking up to Shame
by Christian Martinez
Honorable Mention 
Deafening silence. I strain my ears, praying there might be someone else still alive. The only noise I hear are the voices in my head. --

Solo
by Katrina Dollete
Honorable Mention
She sat alone at the piano, playing the last song they played together. Pain grew with each key she pressed. The bench felt quite lonely.